Saturday, August 6, 2022

8/7 update

Phoenix,

We are officially beginning our season on Monday. We are also holding an "at home camp," which means we will be having a variety of team activities during the week, sometimes multiple times per day. Please do all you can to come to the activities.

The purpose of our camp is to build our TEAM, and by that I mean we intend to get better in areas that will help our team grow, namely through combined relationships, our purpose, and our culture. By the end of the week I hope that you have stronger friendships and relationships with your teammates, I hope that we are on the same page of how to achieve our personal and team goals, and I hope you are more determined to give your very best everyday and to help others do the same.

Parents have volunteered to host meals and activities for you, so please be respectful and appreciative of their efforts. I also ask that for each meal, each person bring $2 for the hosts to help offset costs/time spent arranging the meals. This will be money well spent, trust me, I've heard some of the menu items.

Parents, if you emailed me and I haven't replied, it is possible I didn't receive it. I have scoured my emails and hope I have replied to everyone, so if I haven't, please send another one. 

If any parents would like to help another who is already hosting, please let me know and I can send you their information.

Camp schedule

Week 9 - 80-90%
MondayAugust 8
7:00 AMBarnes Park (East Side)Grass repeats, so bring xc flats if you have them. Distances TBD3-7 miles
8:30 AMTeam Breakfast at the park after the run/Goal Setting
TuesdayAugust 9
7:00 AMPioneer ParkEasy Run, strides3-8 miles
8:30 AMBreakfast provided at the park after the run
2:30 PMForbush ParkTeam Activity (dress like you're running, but not your best shoes)
WednesdayAugust 10
7:00 AMVitaTrail Run, Easy3-7 miles
8:30 AMHeritage Park (Kaysville, just down the road from Vita)Team Breakfast
5:30 PMWheeler Home
128 N 700 W Kaysville
Team Dinner and Pool Party 
ThursdayAugust 11
7:00 AMHeritage ParkFartlek, at tempo effort (1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1) (equal time on/off)3-7 miles
AMBreakfast Provided at the park
9:00 PM719 Sheringham CtMovie Night!! MacFarland USA
FridayAugust 12
8:00 AMPioneer ParkPre-Race Easy Run3-4 miles
9:00 AMHess Home (1 block from Pioneer ParkTeam Breakfast
SaturdayAugust 13
6:30 AMFHSThe bus leaves at 6:30 for the Premier Invitational5k + warm up and cool down

RMA

If you haven't finished register my athlete before Saturday, you will not be allowed to compete. Therefore, go finish it as soon as you can. My AD tells me only about half of you have it done. It only takes a few minutes (besides the physical), so go do it now if you haven't. Remember, the physical is good for 1 year (not the school year as I originally, erroneously said). Once you have it, upload it to the website. I do not need the hard copy of the physical.

Meet info

The meet this Saturday is at the Cottonwood Complex in SLC. The buses will depart at 6:30 AM and will return around 11:30 or 12. You can see the order of the races at the link for our schedule at the top of this website.

Uniforms

I have ordered new uniforms (back in May), however they haven't yet arrived, so we will be using the old black uniforms. If you do not have a uniform, please fill out this link and I will get one for you before Saturday.

XC Class 

We have an XC class during 8th period. I encourage each of you to get in the class. This allows us to miss fewer classes when we leave early for races, to finish practices earlier and have more time for family, homework, work, or otherwise. I believe 9th graders can be in the class, although they would arrive a bit later due to schedules not matching up perfectly, and that is fine, just talk to your counselor to confirm. If you have any questions about the class please let me know. It is not mandatory, but it is encouraged.

Meet Entries 

Below is the list of the entries thus far. If you aren't on here, or are on here but shouldn't be, please let me know so we don't pay for your entry. If I don't hear from you, and I don't see you at practice I will take you out of the meet so we aren't paying for unused bibs.

The decision on who would be in the varsity races came from the two time trials. When a would-be varsity runner was out of town the next person was filled in. For future meets, it will generally come from who has run the fastest times on the previous course. The decision for Varsity at region, divisionals, and state will be a bit more complex, but I will share the methodology for that in the coming weeks (in a nutshell, it's who has been running the fastest times over the past few weeks, so there is an element of dependability, consistency, and of course, fastest times).

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Coach Jacobson