Monday, January 29, 2024

1/28 update

Phoenix,

I'm sorry I'm getting this out a day late. We had another great week last week, and it's clear that our collective fitness is improving. I've had fun working with the hurdlers a few times in the past week or so, and we will continue to work hurdles on occasion during the winter. I also recommend doing any hurdle drills you can on your own, before or after practice. 

As with any task that requires improving technique, watching video of people doing it well is a great strategy to help you improve your own skills. Video, paired with visualization, makes a huge difference. If you're thinking, 'I don't even know what video to watch,' I'll give a few recommendations below of current US greats.

For hurdles: Keni Harrison. Discus: Valarie Allman. Shot put: Ryan Crouser. Sprints: Sha'carri Richardson and Noah Lyles. Distance: Courtney Wayment, Emily Sisson. Clayton Young, and Conner Mantz (the last 3 are hoping to book a spot on Saturday for the 2024 Paris Olympics in the Marathon).

You vaulters and jumpers will need to ask Coach Halls and Farrell what video to watch, because those ones are unique enough at different levels of ability that you may benefit from watching amateurs in addition to professionals. 

Snow Canyon Invitational

We are getting very close, and I think the trip is going to happen. We still could use a few more affirmative votes on the survey, so if you got it and you haven't yet, please go select yes. We are now trying to jump through the final few hoops. I will likely have one room available for a chaperone, if a parent or two would like to join us. If you are interested in that, please let me know.

This week

This week we will be practicing after school on Monday/Wednesday, and in class on Tuesday/Thursday. The weather looks to be quite warm, so we plan to be outside after checking in. Please plan accordingly. I recommend bringing spikes to practice every day. 

(Side note, If you aren't sure what spikes are, they are racing and jumping shoes designed for the track. There are also specific spikes designed for different events, sprints, distance, jumps. Sometimes those who are new to the sport think they aren't important, but they make a huge difference, so I really recommend getting some. They can be found at the Nike store, Salt Lake Running Co., online, etc.)

There is a meet this weekend at he Olympic Ice Oval in Kearns: 5662 South 4800 West Cougar Lane
I've included the meet information with registration info and the approximate schedule below. Please note that you will be registering as individuals, not as a team. 

If any of you would like to run a relay, please let me know and I can register relay teams, and the team will cover the cost of those relays. I would LOVE to have a bunch of 4x400s at the end of the day on Saturday. 

We encourage all of you to go compete and get a starting point for where you are right now. Especially if you want to go to Simplot or to Snow Canyon, this will help you decide on which individual event you want to do (Simplot) and if you'll be able to go (Snow Canyon).

Talk to your event coach about a plan for competing.


Simplot

If you would like to go to Simplot, but you haven't yet told me if you'd like a hotel, or which events, please fill out this form. I'm going to drop excess rooms on Wednesday morning. We still have plenty of space remaining.

Currently we have 23 kids who want to stay at the hotel, which is great, but my biggest problem at the moment is transportation. Kids will need transportation to get up there and home, and then to and from the hotel to the arena (we won't be going back and forth, just once each day). If we don't have enough transportation I'm going to have to drop all the rooms. 

If any of you parents want to bring your child up, or your family, and you want one of the rooms I'm holding, please let me know. Rooms are growing more and more scarce.

Also keep in mind with Simplot, each person is only allowed 1 individual event. 

If you have any questions please let me know.

Coach Jacobson